The following recipe I found on Pinterest. It was linked from the blog Lil’ Luna at http://lilluna.com/fouth-of-july-rice-krispies-treats/
Here is her picture of her finished product:
This was my first time making rice krispies treats…so here we go!!
6 cups rice krispies cereal
1 package mini marshmallows
3 TB margarine or butter
blue and red food coloring (I used standard liquid food coloring)
1. Gather supplies and separate ingredients into 3 for each layer (2 cups of cereal, 2 cups marshmallows, and 1 TB butter for each)…as you can see, I have no problem using the Walmart brand for anything. It works the same 🙂
2. Place marshmallows in medium-large microwave safe dish. Place 1 TB of butter on top and microwave for about 2-3 minutes. I microwaved mine for about 2 1/2 minutes until they were huge and almost touched the top of my microwave.
3. Remove marshmallows from microwave, add RED FOOD COLOR and stir until mixed. ***Amount of food color will depend on desired color. Since I used liquid food color it took a lot more to get a true, bright red.
4. Add cereal and stir until coated with colored marshmallow. ***If mixture gets too stiff to work with, pop it back into the microwave for about 15 seconds and stir some more. I recommend using a wooden spoon or strong rubber scrapper.
5. Press into bottom of a greased 8 X 8 pan. ***mixture will be warm, so you can use wax paper for this process, or spray a thick rubber scrapper with non-stick spray and use that instead.
6. Repeat steps 2-5 on the next 2 layers. ***note: no food coloring is needed for middle, “white” layer.
7. Cover and store at room temperature for up to a week.
Sadly, the blue layer wasn’t as “blue” as I would have liked. I didn’t check to make sure I had a full bottle before I started 😦 OOPS!!
Also, since I sent these with a friend to her party, I didn’t get a picture of them cut out of the pan…I know (novice food blogger here!!). However, it was reported that they cut out of the pan as a whole piece with all three layers and tasted sweet with the chewy texture you hope for with rice krispies treats!!
***Important*** I wouldn’t recommend using glass bowls for the microwave like I did. I noticed on the blue layer that when I stuck it back in to make it easier to stir, it started to burn slightly on the bottom. Next time, I plan to use a heavy plastic mixing bowl. I was also told that these went really fast at the party…so you can double the recipe and use a 9 X 13 if you are expecting a lot of people.
I hope you enjoyed this and perhaps give it a try!! Visit Lil’ Luna’s blog for other great recipes (shes fantastic!!). Also, leave comments if you try this or have other recipes you would like to see attempted or think I would enjoy!! Thanks everyone!